Sunday, October 26, 2008

First Shoot

Today, I got the opportunity to shoot photographs in the scenario for which the camera and lens was purchased— three kids running around indoors in low light. From the results, I have to say that I LOVE both the Canon 50D and the 50mm lens. The shots came out absolutely amazing (I shot all the close-ups (less that 3 feet) at f/1.4). The only minor complaint I have is that the camera didn't detect the tungsten light and I had to manually correct the white balance setting.

Todo: 1) figure out how to tell the camera to track a subject as it moves through the autofocus points (I remember reading about it but forgot how to do it.) 2) figure out a rule-of-thumb that correlates f-stop to distance from subject and area of the circle that is in focus (e.g. if I am 5 feet away, and I want everything in the frame in focus, what f-stop do I have to dial; alternatively, I could always switch to full-auto or program mode).

I also took some closeups of a lit candle which turned out quite nicely.

About

This blog will go live on a full-time basis when I have finished copying all my old articles from my journal. I have a Picasa Album for my photos.